Prof. Dr. Erika de Wet
UNIVERSITY OF ZURICH (SWITZERLAND):
Habilitationsschrift in Public International Law, 2002.
HARVARD UNIVERSITY (USA): LL.M, 1999.
UNIVERSITY OF THE FREE STATE (SOUTH AFRICA):
LL.D in Comparative Constitutional Law, 1995.
MAX PLANCK INSTITUTE FOR FOREIGN PUBLIC LAW AND INTERNATIONAL LAW (GERMANY): Visiting Scholar, 1991-1993; 2007.
UNIVERSITY OF THE FREE STATE:
LL.B (cum laude), 1991; B.Iur (cum laude), 1989.
• Co-Director: Institute for International and Comparative Law in Africa, Faculty of Law, University of Pretoria, South Africa (since 2011).
• Professor of International Constitutional Law: Department of Public International Law, Faculty of Law, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands (tenured until 2010 and part-time since 2011).
• Titularprofessorin: Faculty of Law, University of Zurich, Switzerland (since 2009).
• Extraordinary Professor: Faculty of Law, University of Pretoria, South Africa (2008–2010).
• Extraordinary Professor: Faculty of Law, North-West University (Potchefstroom campus), South Africa (2004-2009).
• Associate Professor of Public International Law: Department of Public International Law, Faculty of Law, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands (2002-2004).
• Associate Professor of the Law of International Organisations: Faculty of Law, Leiden University, The Netherlands (2000–2002).
• Research Fellow: T.M.C. Asser Institute, The Hague, The Netherlands (1999-2000).
• Lecturer in Law: Brandeis University, Waltham, Massachusetts, USA (1999).
• Staff Legal Counsellor: Swiss Institute of Comparative Law, Lausanne, Switzerland (1996-1998).
• Labour Legislation Specialist: Labour Legislation and Labour Relations Branch, International Labour Office (ILO), Geneva, Switzerland (1995).
• External Collaborator: International Institute for Labour Studies (IILS) of the ILO, Geneva, Switzerland (1994).
• Intern: United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, Geneva, Switzerland (1993).
• Visiting Scholar: Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public and International Law, Heidelberg, Germany (1991-1993; 2007-2008).
• Lecturer: Constitutional Law and Interpretation of Statutes, Department of Constitutional Law and Legal Philosophy, University of the Free State, Bloemfontein, South Africa (1991).
• Academic Assistant: Department of Constitutional Law and Legal Philosophy, University of the Free State, Bloemfontein, South Africa (1990).
• B1 Rating awarded by South African National Research Foundation (2010-2014).
• First Runner-up, Women in Science Excellence Awards, South African Department of Science and Technology (category Social Sciences and Humanities) (2010).
• VICI Excellence Grant (Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research) (2007-2011).
• Alexander von Humboldt Fellowship (2007-2008).
• Swiss National Science Foundation Fellowship (1998-2000).
• Harvard Law School Fellowship (1998-1999).
• German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) Fellowship (1992-1993).
• Attorneys' Fidelity Trust Fund (South Africa) Fellowship (1991-1992).
• Mowritz Bobbert Medal for outstanding achievement in the LL.B examination (1990).
• Bar Award for best final year student in the LL.B examination (1990).
• Dean's Medal for the top student in the Faculty of Law (1990).
• Dean's Medal for best B. Iur graduate (1988).
• Honorary colours from the students representative council for the best B.Iur student (1986-1988).
• Editor in Chief (with André Nollkaemper), International Law in Domestic Courts (ILDC Online).
• General Editor (with Rüdiger Wolfrum and Rainer Grote), Oxford Constitutions Online (to be launched in 2012).
• Member, Editorial Board, Austrian Journal of Public and International Law (ZOR).
• Member, Editorial Board, Potchefstroom Electronic Law Journal (PER).
• Member, Editorial Board, Közjogi Szemle (Hungarian Public Law Review).
• Member, International Advisory Board, African Human Rights Law Journal (AHRLJ).
• Former Member, Editorial Board, Netherlands International Law Review (NILR) (2004-2009).
• Former Member, Editorial Board, Leiden Journal of International Law (LJIL) (2000-2002).
• Manuscript Referee, Cambridge University Press, Hart Publishing, Oxford University Press.
Externally funded Projects
• Project Leader, The emerging international constitutional order – the implications of hierarchy in international law for the coherence and legitimacy of international decision-making, sponsored by the Innovational Research Incentives Scheme (VICI (MaGW)) of the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (2007-2012);
• Project Leader (The Netherlands), International law in domestic courts (ILDC): strengthening the network for justice in Africa, sponsored by the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation within its human rights and international justice initiative (2008-2010).
• Member, Scientific Advisory Board, Building just and durable peace by piece, collective research project involving the universities of Bath, East London, Lund, St. Andrews, Uppsala, the Hebrew University (Jerusalem) and the Regional Centre on Conflict Prevention (Amman), sponsored by the EU Seventh Framework Programme (JAD-PbP, no. 217589) (2008-2010).
• Former Project Leader (The Netherlands), Improving trans-boundary environmental governance in South Africa, Lesotho, Swaziland and Mozambique, sponsored by the South-Africa-Netherlands Research Programme on Alternatives in Development (SANPAD) (2006-2009);
Fluent in Afrikaans (mother tongue), English, German and Dutch, proficient in French.
Membership and other Activities
• Advocate of the High Court of South Africa.
• Member, Advisory Committee on Issues of Public International Law of the Netherlands (CAVV) (2008 - 2010).
• Member, International Evaluation Commission responsible for evaluating the Public Law Unit of the Faculty of Law, University of Graz, Austria (2010).
• Member, Africa Expert Study on Article 16 of the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court (International Crime in Africa Programme at the Institute for Security Studies) (2010).
• Consultant, Fourth Freedom Forum and the Kroc Institute for International Peace Studies (Sanctions and Security Research Program), University of Notre Dame (2009).
• Member, Governing Board, African Foundation for International Law (since 2009).
• Member, American Society of International Law, European Society of International Law,
• German Society of International Law, Netherlands Society of International Law.
• Member, Interdisciplinary Evaluation Council, 2006-2007 Innovational Research Incentive Scheme, (Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (MaGW Vidi)).
• Member, Organizing Committee, 2005 Hague Joint Conference on Contemporary Issues in International Law of the American Society of International Law and the Netherlands Society of International Law.
• Regular invited speaker at international conferences.